Understanding the difference between a sanitiser and a disinfectant. It’s important to know which one is most effective in order to keep your care home, workplace, kitchen or school safe from germs and bacteria. Let’s take a look at what makes sanitisers and disinfectants different.
- They are generally less harsh and toxic than disinfectants, making them safer to use in food service and other settings where food is present.
- They can be used to clean surfaces that come into contact with food, such as kitchen counters, cutting boards, and utensils.
- They are typically effective at reducing the number of germs on a surface to a safe level.
- They may not be as effective as disinfectants at killing certain types of germs, such as certain strains of bacteria and viruses.
- They may not be suitable for use in certain settings, such as hospitals and laboratories, where more powerful disinfectants are needed to kill harmful pathogens.
- They are typically more effective than sanitizers at killing a wide range of disease-causing microorganisms, including bacteria, viruses, and fungi.
- They are suitable for use in medical and other settings, such as hospitals and laboratories, where pathogens must be eliminated to prevent the spread of infections.
- They can be effective against a wide range of microorganisms, including bacteria, viruses, and fungi.
- They may be more harsh and toxic than sanitizers, making them less safe to use in certain settings, such as food service.
- They may not be suitable for use on certain surfaces, such as food preparation areas, due to risk of contamination.
- They may not be as effective against certain microorganisms if not used at the correct concentration or if the cleaning process is not done properly.
The right product depends on your individual needs – whether you need something that just reduces germs or something that kills them outright – but either way, it’s important to use caution when using these products and risk assessments are carried out. By understanding the differences between sanitisers and disinfectants and choosing one based on your needs, you can rest assured knowing that your surfaces are clean and germ-free!